Friday, June 22, 2012

Maltese Cross Blossoms



Bob Dylan wrote a famous song some years ago, "The Times They Are A'Changin'"  I think they have changed and left me behind.  Last evening I went to Subway to buy a supper sandwich and felt like I stood out.  Here was the scenario: the man ahead of me was fully tattooed, the man behind was was tattooed, the girl behind the counter taking my order wore a ring in her lower lip that made her lisp so I couldn't understand her, the next employee down the line needed a shave and wore a long ponytail, and the cashier was overweight.  Well, darn me, they all probably thought I looked queer.
...
One of the great contemporary historians is David McCullough whom I have enjoyed reading over the years.  He has a son with "Jr." behind his name.  He made some news lately when he gave a commencement address and said, "You're not special."  That lifted some eyebrows, and he prepared himself for lots of negative criticism.  Quite the contrary, he received mostly positive comments in his emails, the count: 700 in support, only 4 negative.  The latest Newsweek magazine carries an article he wrote.  The jist of the whole episode: get out there and earn your "special status."  Graduating from high school doesn't put you there.
...
Ole walks into work, and both of his ears are all bandaged up.  The boss says, "What happened to your ears?"  Ole says, "Yesterday I vas ironing a shirt ven de phone rings, and I accidentally answered the iron."  The boss says, "Well, that explains one ear, but what happened to the other ear?"  Ole replies, "I tried to call da doctor in the other ear."

Posted by Picasa