Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Another Day in Mandan


I always wanted to take a picture of this old granary building that stands on Highway 27 near the Sheldon corner, and when I had my camera with me not long ago I took it.  The countryside still holds a lot of these structures, at one time very useful, and now obsolescent, weathering away to eventually fall under the weight of snow.
...
Yesterday morning as I typed away a message came up on my Skype program that Ann-Marie was video calling, that is Ann-Marie Eriksson from Sweden.  She regularly reads this blog so I want to say "Hello" to her.  We've now talked twice by Skype since they returned from their visit here.  Modern day technology still wows me.
...
When was it, twenty years ago, that "Dallas" played weekly on tv?  Well, it's coming back for a few weeks with three of the originals, J.R., Bobby, and Sue Ellen.  The first show has Bobby visiting J.R. in an assisted-care facility.  Interesting.  Apparently, the battles will come from their two sons.  I will watch it, at least a time or two.
...
I planned to write a bit today about my Civil War class last night at the Osher Institute, but alas, I went and no one was there.  I emailed the coordinator and she phoned back apologetic saying that class had been cancelled due to low enrollment.  Apparently UND person in charge of the program didn't think to notify me.  Such is life.
...
I drove by the Bobcat manufacturing plant in Bismarck the other day and saw a sign in front advertising for assemblers @ $12 an hour.  Before they closed the plant down a couple of years ago people made a living wage out there, now it's $12 an hour.  It seems in the same vein as the election in Wisconsin yesterday.  The votes supported the governor who took worker rights away.  We're becoming a nation of haves and have-nots with not much of a middle class left.