Friday, January 06, 2012

Famous Horses



In Five Syllables

Technicolor dreams

of winter sunsets

played in my slumber.

Horses stood hilltop

watching and steaming

in the cold after

their wild run. Regal,

they’d carried famous

men in their saddles.

First, Bucephalus -

black coat with white star -

stepped forward to talk

of Alexander,

the great conqueror

whom Aristotle

taught. “I let him ride

when I could not see

my shadow, the man

was smart in those ways.”

Comanche, battle-

scarred from Little Big

Horn, walked stiffly up.

“Arrows and bullets

flew thick, buzzing bees

that stung my hide but

killed all the other

horses and men who

dared invade that site.”

Cincinnati strode

to the herds forefront,

“U. S. Grant rode me

in the Civil War.

The death and carnage

he wrought made my hide

shiver as I bore

him through the battles.”

Others stood wanting

my ear, Marengo

galloped Bonaparte

fast from Waterloo,

Wanting me to know,

“Wounded eight times

carrying him from

battle to battle.”

Robert E. Lee rode

Traveller, father

of our country Old

George Washington rode

his favored Nelson.

Dream turned to nightmare

as they spoke as one,

“Your poetry makes

no mark as worthwhile

literature. Save

your efforts for some-

thing else!” Mister Ed –

where did he come from –

snickered a horse laugh,

“Your poems are horseshit,”

and then I awoke,

in panic, sweating.