Friday, February 18, 2011

World War II Memories


One of the sessions at the Learning Institute I've enrolled in this term is named A Veteran's Remembrances: World War II. Dr. Herbert Wilson, a retired M. D. who spent most of his career at Fort Berthold in ND, flew 31 missions in World War II in B-24's as a gunner-bombardier and serves as our instructor. I look forward to the five remaining sessions when he will bring a guest speaker. Next week he's scheduled his wife who he married in England during the war who has stories of her own.

The picture taken about a year ago is of George McGovern with me asking him a question about his piloting these B-24's for 35 missions during that war. My question: what was it like flying so many times over dangerous territory. "I was scared all the time," was his response to me.