Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Doin' Fun Things Now

Even as the days grow longer, winter stays very much with us. We retired folks need to find things to entertain us, and I've got plenty of them. Fooling around with photos and attaching poems or other information to them occupies a good deal of time. I purchased a digital SLR camera the other day and this photo of Little Heart Butte was one of my first subjects. My five line poem superimposed on it has previously been published in the Tanka Society of America journal "Ribbons."







This next one challenged me a bit as I used our simple point-and-shoot Nikon to take it. I like the way it turned out, though. Below the picture I composed some lines to describe the scene.



"On a recent trip to the Gettysburg Battlefield our tour bus stopped at a spot known as Little Round Top, a site where some brutal fighting took place. There, beneath the old oak trees acorns lay strewn about. How old those trees were I had no way of knowing, but I imagined the soil where they had taken root to have been soaked with the blood of those many fallen soldiers. I saved these three and keep them in a place of honor."

So it is, here in Mandan. I have another birthday next week to add on my growing total - the 69th. How that came on so fast scares me, so for the time remaining I'd better get moving and accomplish some more tasks. Emily Dickinson penned a poem that pretty well describes the future :

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labour, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school where children played,
Their lessons scarcely done;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

We paused before a house that seemed
A swelling on the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries; but each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.

One final aside, someone figured out that you can sing this poem to the tune "The Yellow Rose of Texas."