Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Foraging Deer


It has been a rough couple of weeks here at the Bueling homestead what with illness. Mary suffered through hers and seems to be better, but I’m still battling it. That has been the main story around here. The joke seemed to be on me: about a week ago I thought I was over it so that was when I waded through the deep snow to snap the picture of the water pump in our backyard. Since it was so deep I became exhausted and began breathing gulps of cold air and then a hard relapse. Mary adds to a compost pile with scraps of veggies even now in the winter, and deer have found it, thus this picture. Here is where I wish for a better camera with telephoto capabilities. Living where we do provides a multitude of photo ops.

I’ve enjoyed watching a number of videos from this year’s Elko, NV Cowboy Poetry Gathering that are posted on the internet. Some of the performances are excellent. Interested? Go to westernfolklife.org and click on Gathering Cybercast.

Regarding deer I drove past a small herd the other day and saw them standing belly-deep in snow to reach for some dried leaves on a branch. It made me appreciate my refrigerator and pantry.

Snowfall keeps piling up. The Bismarck Tribune reported over 52 inches of it, about 23 inches above normal. We’ve still got February and March. Uff da!