Monday, December 01, 2008

Frosty Morning

A frost fog clouded the valley floor this morning; at the edge of this opaque whiteness emerged a herd of deer, a wonderful sight! We’ve counted close to a hundred deer at times that come to eat at the dormant alfalfa in this large acreage. Throughout the year several species of wildlife romp in that field: turkeys, pheasants, coyotes, deer, and who knows what else. At times they have visited Mary’s gardens, a fact attested to by the footprints we find.
...
Since graduating from or attending colleges and universities, Mary and I receive regular mailings from their alumni offices in the guise, of course, of keeping us informed of our “beloved” alma maters. Their ability to keep track of us in our moves is really uncanny; they’d sure love to get a piece of our estates when we leave this old earth. Admittedly, there are bits of interest in these publications, and last week I received The Bulletin from Valley City State University where I read of the passing of an old history professor of mine, Dr. Donald Welsh. I remember especially one day in his class. It was a sad time in our country. I had learned just a few minutes earlier that President Kennedy had been shot. Dr. Welsh came in visibly saddened and told us our history class would not be held that day. For about a week a gloomy pall hung over everyone’s head.
...
Who will replace Hillary now that she has been nominated as Secretary of State? I think one name I’ve heard mentioned was done in jest - Bill Clinton. I don’t think the U. S. Senate is a big enough field for him to play in, but it is not without precedent that a past president gets elected to congress. In my history book I read that our sixth president, John Quincy Adams, served seventeen years in the U. S. House of Representatives after his term of presidency.