Wednesday, December 31, 2008

As the Crow Flies

Snow keeps piling up around these parts. I told Mary we’re getting set up for a good three day blizzard; those high banks plowed off to the side of the streets would fill to the tops, and we’d have to sit waiting for heavy machines to come in to clear the roads. A December snowfall record has fallen — 42.3 inches, over twice the average amount. The local reporting station is located at the Bismarck airport, but as the proverbial crow flies that spot is only about two miles from here, so that amount more than likely holds true for our location, too.
...
I can tell another story regarding the line a crow flies. For several years I’ve been gathering information on the old time ox-cart freighters who crossed my home area hauling their loads, much of it between Fort Abercrombie and Fort Ransom. Their two major routes meandered a bit, one followed the high water route and the other the low water route. The low water route followed a more direct path between the forts. When the Sheyenne River ran low some accessible fords let them make better time on their journey.

We used to put up hay on a virgin sod meadow on the farm where I grew up, and I remember my tractor bumped over deep ruts each time I mowed or raked across it. Dad told me it was an old prairie road, but little else was said. Lately I’ve gotten to wondering if those tracks may have been part of the low-water route so I have spent some time in the Heritage Center library looking at old maps. There I found an old atlas dated 1884 that lays out a beautiful picture of how the land looked. On it two principal locations gave me information I wanted. On Christmas Day I brought the subject up with Dad again and he told me that an old-timer told him the trail in question was the Owego to Sheldon road and that he had hauled mail over it for a time. Given that information I laid a ruler between the two settlements of Owego and Sheldon and its crow fly line intersects our old meadow perfectly. So I can’t claim to have found an ox-cart trail, but I proved something else that was personal to me and that is satisfying.

My research will result in my writing a long poem, and this one verse came to me:

Handed this piece of the past
that otherwise would fall prey
to the vast Pit of Forget,
I recalled the times when I,
astride my hayfield tractor,
double-bounced over the cusp
of those ruts and cussed at their
presence.