Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Turns of Fate

We were reminded Monday evening of the speed at which a life can turn around. My father-in-law, 92, walked to his mailbox at the front of the house and slipped and fell on a patch of the treacherous ice that accumulated in our area. Wearing only a vest he was not prepared to lay in the below zero wind chill we had at the time. He hollered for his daughter in the house, but since his voice has weakened with age he did not make himself heard. Luckily, a house dog did hear him and signaled Sharon that something terrible happened. His persistence clued her to investigate after some minutes had elapsed, and she found him where he had fallen. She called 911, then us, and by the time we arrived at the scene five minutes later the ambulance and a fire truck were already on the scene.

In the ambulance he did not complain much about the pain, but rather how cold he was. Not to make the story much longer, he got hooked up with a good orthopedic surgeon who operated yesterday morning and put a rod into his badly broken femur bone, and, voila, Adam took his first steps on it today already.

Many of these old-timers possess incredible inner strength with a strong will to survive and do not let things such as this get them down. I think, too, of my parents who have been hospitalized and rose to live active lives again. For some reason the poem "Invictus" popped into my head as I thought about it all:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

(In Latin, Invictus means unconquered.)