Friday, December 05, 2008

Research

On my way to Bismarck this morning I noticed ice floes in the Missouri River. Winter! My destination was the Heritage Center’s library to do some research on a few townships located in my home area: Greene, Owego, and Shenford. Since publishing my humble book of poetry I have suffered through a non-productive time. My mind has been blank except for a couple of decent poems I’ve been able to conjure up. I need many more if I’m to publish a second volume. Then out of the blue a whole trainload of ideas ran by which has prompted me to get excited about researching for them.

Idea # 1: As a young lad, I raked hay in an old meadow of virgin sod and always bumped across a pair of deep-rutted tracks that ran the width of the field. From where they came and to where they headed I often wondered. Then the epiphany struck — were they part of the old ox cart trail that ran from Fort Abercrombie to Fort Ransom? My trip to the heritage library to find old Ransom County atlases resulted in my copying a few pertinent township maps, namely Greene, Owego, and Shenford. With them I gained the section coordinate numbers to compare to locations listed in old research articles I copied several years ago when I became interested in one of the old ox cart freighters, Donald Stevenson. It is an interesting project. Some imaginative soul gave Shenford its name because of the crossing of the Sheyenne River was only SHIN-deep and can be easily FORD-ed. With the application for their post office the spelling Shinford was submitted, but it came back as today’s spelling Shenford. I don’t know if I can identify that two-wheel track in the meadow, but I’ll sure have fun trying.

Idea # 2: A few years ago I got extremely interested in a bucking horse in this area that was never be ridden except for one disputed time. It was before the modern rules of rodeo were written, so even with the cruel and unfair advantages riders possessed when they mounted him he fought back with fury. He was rejected as a World War I mount destined for the battlefields of France because of being unbreakable and escaped the glue factory because his owners saw money in him as rodeo stock. In the end he had been turned out to free range pasture and died unheralded in a blizzard. I wrote a long, rambling poem about him and read it at the Cowboy Poetry Gathering, but I know now I can make great improvement over that first effort.

Idea(s) # 3: Both Mary and I have collected numerous stories of ancestors who all suffered hardships. Their stories will soon be forgotten unless they are preserved in some literary form, just as the above two ideas need be.

Idea # 4: Many more will come my way. We attended our bank’s appreciation holiday feed last evening where we ran into two people we traveled with on our recent trip to Branson. They complimented me on the poetry book I gave to them and the couple they were with wondered if it was cowboy poetry. I stated some were but there are so many other good poems to write, too. So off I go.