Monday, September 01, 2008

Pictures: Dowser, Cap, & a Wanderer

We drove over to Lisbon yesterday to visit my folks. The photo albums came out, started circulating, and I chose a few pictures to bring home to make copies of. I was always fascinated with Dad's ability to take a willow stick and use it to dowse water. One snapshot pictures him doing just that. He'd begin with the forked stick aimed straight at the ground coming from the bottom of his clenched fists. Then he'd raise his forearms until his wrists and fists touched his chest, thereby making the stick parallel with the ground. He'd start walking slowly in a meandering course. Invariably something in the earth, presumably water, would start attracting the stick, and I would watch somewhat amazed while the stick started twisting and wrenching in his hands until it pointed straight down. Often times the wrenching was so severe that it strained and ripped the green bark of the twig and proved to me it wasn't some trick of his where he'd let the branch swivel loosely down. He always gripped it tightly! He said yesterday, "I don't know how scientific it was." I know there are a lot of naysayers, but I do know of a national dowsers organization whose members are believers.

In another picture, a little boy, me, in a photo booth, sits posed and looking off to one side. He's dressed neatly in a double breasted jacket and sports a beanie cap on his head. It was the cap that brought Ma to ask if I remembered it. "No, I was too young to remember that." She told how I always wanted to wear it. One day we were visiting at her relatives' Ted and Molly Strand's farm and I came crying that my cap was gone. They searched, and I must have steered them in the right direction. They found it laying at the bottom of a hole in the outdoor toilet. Apparently that is where it stayed.

The last picture is of me sitting in my maroon '66 Impala, turning the key to start it, and wearing a black nylon jacket and a straw cowboy hat. I remember it well, late August, 1968. (The old barn still stands straight in the background; the tornado hadn't taken it yet.) The occasion: I'm heading north to Alaska. Dreams of making it big up there raged like a storm in my soul. I had been reading magazine and books, watching movies, and dreaming, then dreaming some more of going there. The summer's custom combining concluded, and on the previous day I drove to Fargo and bought a sleeping bag, plus other items I thought I would need. The story of what transpired as a result of that trip is much too long to tell here, but it was the first day of the rest of my life.