Monday, September 22, 2008

Crisis

Finally we are starting to hear some debate on the financial crisis. I'm with the line of thought that we should slow down a bit, let our legislature respond (as is their job), and figure out the root of the problem. Quick reactions told us what's wrong, but it seems like an awfully large responsibility was given to an executive committee to decide and move on the problem. Of course, culprits get to walk away, and we are stuck with the bill. The kids went into the candy store, stole the place clean, and Big Daddy gets the bill. I don't think we were set up to operate as a constitutional monarchy, but that seems to be how it is being handled. Crisis talk always creates panic to change, but to what? To what a handful of people tell us?

Our systems have been so fully deregulated that the fat cats get to pretty much call the shots (Thanks Mr. Reagan), then after greed rears his ugly head with his ravenous mouth wide open, bad things start happening. I like the analogy of comparing deregulation to a football game. Take the referees off the field, say "Thanks, we don't need you any longer, go to it teams, and by the way, we trust you to play a clean game. May the best man win." Chaos would erupt, right?
............................
I had a great time at the Apple Fest in Bismarck this weekend. Hundreds of people roamed around the grounds of Buckstop Junction, and a few even strolled into the hall where I performed my program. Buckshot Hoffner has been the big push with establishing the non-profit organization, and now groups such as the Bismarck Cancer Center can use this old frontier town for events such as this. Mr. Hoffner is a grand old gentleman. He introduced me to the audience and, after I finished, he had very nice things to say. At the end of the day as Mary and I made our way out I told one of the organizers that they can call on me again next year.