Thursday, October 05, 2006

Who Created God?

The 2006 Nobel Prize for Physics has been awarded to two Americans. According to the brief article in my newspaper, their work "affirmed the big-bang theory to even the most stubborn skeptics." I never took any courses in physics, but I've always been interested in what it has to say.

The idea of a Big-Bang has been around for awhile, but as an interesting aside, a scientist was not the first to conceive it. Edgar Allan Poe, the imaginative author wrote in one of his essays that God caused an explosion that created the universe. Whoever's idea it was, it has been the subject of intense study by scientists.

I do not have any trouble accepting the theory, nor do I have problems with reconciling things like evolution to religion. The problem I always think of is who created God so he could light the fuse. I've always experienced the dead end of what I heard a Jewish rabbi once term infinite regression. You can only go so far back. There's an obvious limit to knowledge. Here's where agnosticism gets a foothold. I want to believe in this "mystery" so that's where the faith the church teaches comes in.

Down here on earth religious zealots fight over what God says, does, or favors. Each religion believes it holds the key to heaven and all the others have it wrong. Maybe science will come along someday and provide the answers.