Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Book Sale

A lot of people wait for this day. Count me in that group. The semi-annual used book sale at the public library draws us like rusty nails to a magnet. They advertise 40,000 volumes for sale, but I doubt that anyone's counted. Their estimate does it justice, though. A volunteer group called "Friends of the Library" works hard at collecting donated books and sorting them into categories for us to peruse.

The price is right - $1.oo per pound for paperbacks and .50 for hard covers. Most shoppers carry out bags full. I did. It totalled just $12. I gravitate to certain sections such as poetry, biography, history, and music. I don't have much time for the huge fiction section since I want real meat. (My wife would stand and argue with me on that one.)

I did it. I just had to go back this afternoon. Yes, I bought another $6.75 worth. There's a good chance I'll return one more time tomorrow. As I finish writing I plan to start studying my music books first to see if there are some easy tunes for me and my guitar. Adios.