Wednesday, October 25, 2006

How Things Add Up

The notes in my journal from a while back say I thought I needed to go out and live my life before I could sit down to write about it. That's the angle I'm coming from with all these web logs. I'm the first to admit I haven't reached or deserved any level of fame, but whenever I begin writing I recognize my past in the ways I see and interpret my world.

I found validation for this in a recent magazine article featuring the noted songwriter Kris Kristofferson. He said, "Do it before you write about it." He has been a Rhodes Scholar, boxer, helicopter pilot, janitor, etc. and feels his experiences are of high importance to his writing career.

I can count many life experiences, some life changing, some enhancing, some damaging, but whatever experiences I have accumulated in 6 1/2 decades, they have accompanied me to this threshold I stand on, beyond which lies the rest of my life. They color and shape my way of thinking and make me the man that I am.