Monday, October 09, 2006

Homogenized

My dictionary defines homogenize as to make more uniform throughout in texture, mixture, quality, etc. We're not just talking milk here. Apply that to most any town of moderate to large size you travel through; they all look about the same with McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Pizza Hut, Lowe's, Penney's, Taco John's and almost ad infinitum.

It's a good thing local histories, landmarks, or industries differ, otherwise local boosters would possess little to give them distinction. In those rare communities where some independent entrepreneur makes a success of a business idea, it often follows for him to establish a franchise and begin spreading the good name across the land.

I remember in young manhood when I fancied myself as an adventurer and sportsman, I thought the Eddie Bauer brand of gear suited me most appropriately. I'm sure I got that idea from dreaming through the advertisements in a magazine I read faithfully: Alaska. The rugged outdoorsman I fancied to be needed their clothing and equipment. Returning from a journey to Alaska, an endeavor doomed to folly, I set my sights on visiting the Eddie Bauer store in Seattle. It loomed as a destination site for my pilgrimage retreat from the frontier. Yes, I located it, walked in, was met by a huge stuffed polar bear at the entrance, and beyong that, realized it was not much more than a glorified clothing store. And that became a lesson learned: I could have bought similar quality merchandise for less money at home. Advertising had painted this romantic notion that didn't stand up under scrutiny. Now, with that franchise spread to this community, I can walk into their store, compare, and go to Penney's to buy at their end-of-season sale.