Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Two Teachers


This coming weekend we will drive to West Fargo to attend a reunion for several Sheldon High classes, '56-'62.  How those years were arrived at I've never heard, but since my class of '60 falls in there, I'm going.  In thinking about a reunion it is natural to remember teachers.  A year ago I became reacquainted with the son of my first high school English teacher, Mrs. Slatta.  I emailed him a week ago to ask if her status was the same as he told me it was last year - alive at 103 years of age.  Yes, she is still alive and enjoying playing the piano and listening to books on tape, a necessity since she is blind.  He sent me her address in Oregon, and I sent off a friendly note to her today.  I'll be sure to take the address along in case someone else wants to do the same.

And then there was our math teacher, Miss Hanson.  I have run into her a couple of times since 1960, and since I knew she resides in Bismarck, I decided to give her a call.  When she answered the phone, I said, "Miss Hanson, what is the Algebra assignment for tomorrow."  "Oh, Lynn Bueling, how are you?"  

I told her I wanted to touch base so I could report to the reunion that she was alive, well, and happy.  She replied, "Yes, I am alive, I am well, and I am happy!"  Talking to her on the phone was very enjoyable, and I'm glad I did.

Our little town where we graduated no longer can host any gatherings of the type we well attend.  So off to West Fargo we go.  It's a sad story, but one we have to live with.
Posted by Picasa