Monday, August 13, 2012

Lotza Odds & Ends



Home builders in Bismarck-Mandan aren't afraid to build on hilly terrain.  This picture taken from the deck of Mary's sister and husband looks north to neighboring houses.  I've always thought the rock-walled terraces were attractive but miserable to mow.  They are both.
- - -
My dear wife came into the bathroom this morning as I was shaving and proudly displayed our rain gauge; it showed yesterday's rainfall measuring a bit over two inches.  Things will sure freshen up now.
 - - -
 An article in the Sunday paper printed some man-camp numbers. An outfit named Target Logistics runs an operation at eleven locations with 4,390 beds.  A smaller company, Capitol Lodge, lists 560 beds.  I know there are other facilities in and around the oil patch, so I don't know the total number they can accommodate,  but whatever, the numbers are high enough to boggle the old North Dakota mind.
- - -
Speaking of the oil patch, we have signed up for a guided day trip later in September with the Osher Institute.  We've been wanting a first hand look at the area, and now I don't have to drive a car in it.
- - -
Lloyd Omdahl's Sunday column bore this headline: Can North Dakota handle being rich?  He reports that, heck, we're not just going to have a two billion dollar state surplus, but a four billion dollar surplus.  (That's with a "B")  I liked his reference to our "mattress-stuffing legislature," in other words, let's spend some money on us common folks.
- - - 
I had a chance meeting in our Target store a few days ago with the man who lives on the historic Anchor Ranch adjacent to the south side of the Cannonball River.  I told him I was about to publish a book about the man who established the ranch - William V. Wade.  Wife Mary was born and raised on the north side of the Cannonball.  Wade wrote a very interesting book about his experiences up and down the Missouri River, and after contacting his descendents who liked the idea, I've decided to re-publish it with additions of my own. I'm hearing lots of interest in the project.  Ordering information will be posted here soon.
- - -
The Missouri River claims one or two people every year.  She just got one again a few days ago.  A man jumped off the railroad bridge for sport.  The first time he came up.  The second time he didn't.  They are still looking for him.


Posted by Picasa