Friday, May 11, 2012

True Grit




My favorite young lady in all of literature is Mattie Ross, the spunky girl around whom the story of True Grit swirls.  She tells the story from the viewpoint of an old lady looking back on the murder of her father and and how she managed to convince Rooster Cogburn to help her settle the score and bring the killer to justice.  I just re-read the book and could not help but see John Wayne's face all over the pages.  I wonder if ever the role of a fictional character has been better matched to an actor.  Jeff Bridges did a good job in the remake, but it still belongs to John Wayne.  I can still see him putting the reins of his horse in his mouth, holding a pistol in each hand and spurring his horse forward while saying, "Fill your hands you son-of-bitch!"


Mattie Ross tells the story with a strong  Old Testament morality (eye for an eye) and makes it clear to Rooster she does not approve of his besotted ways.  I love the line she speaks when she berates him for being drunk, "I would not put a thief in my mouth to steal my brains."   Great stuff!

A little horsetrader she became after her father died and left some horses he had bought.  She claimed one horse from the string, Little Blackie, that became her savior  when Rooster swept up her rattlesnake poisoned body and rode the pony to its death while on the way to a doctor.   I wish all books were as satisfying as this one.
. . . . . .