Sunday, May 27, 2012

In Medora

So I sez to Mary, "Let's go to Medora Saturday."  She sez, "OK."  Then I add, "It's the cowboy poetry gathering, remember?"  Since she stopped me from performing on that stage, I hadn't mentioned it for a couple of years.  I maintain she never thought I was good enough and that I embarrassed her.  She has told me if I want to go on stage, she isn't going to be there.  Anyway, we arrive in Medora and I walk into the hall and the first person I see is Bill Lowman, the mover and shaker who makes the gathering happen.  He sez right off, "You're gonna get up there, aren't you?"  "Well, no, the wife doesn't think I'm good enough."  So he tells me this story about a well-known and quite accomplished poet and singer, Ken Overcast, who got up one time with a presentation that really embarrassed his wife, but one that the audience thought was great.  Since his success made little difference to her, she said she almost walked out of the auditorium.  Well, the way I look at it, another year is coming.

Medora is always a great day trip for us with the Western Edge Book Store usually being the first stop.  We've gotten to know Doug and Mary Ellison and always have enjoyable conversation with them.  Plus I bought a book on Major Marcus Reno, the figure around whom the Sheldonite J. T. Hickey worked up to and including the Battle of the Little Big Horn.  Mary found an old picture of Flasher, ND that she bought.

Since I'm hold a membership in the ND Cowboy Hall of Fame and am entitled to free admission, I wanted to take advantage of that and tour through again.  That is where the picture of my Uncle Russell's chair was taken, something his family donated to the Hall after Russell passed away.  And, I almost fell over when I looked into a conference room off the office area and saw two of my old wagon works that have made there way into the Hall as part of an old pioneer village and was told they will be part of a permanent exhibit.  Mary cautioned me right away about getting a big head, but I told her, after all, that puts me in the hall of fame. (although not having been voted in like the legitimate members are.)

Of course, we can't go to Medora without eating in the Cowboy Cafe, an establishment with its woodwork branded by cattle brands from the area and pictures hanging everywhere of old time cowboys who lived around there.

Participants in the show in the auditorium ranged from poor to outstanding, and I'm at least as good as the poor ones.  Whatever, the afternoon show is free and a large crowd sat in.  It's pretty handy for church-going Catholics because immediately after the last song and poetry session all one has to do is walk into the theater in the same building where mass is held in the summer months.

It was a good day, and I'll be ready to go back soon.  One thing about Medora though is that they have two standards for sexual discrimination.  In one place I saw this sign hanging: Gentlemen - no shoes, no shirt, no service.  Ladies - no shoes, no shirt, free drinks.