Sunday, May 29, 2011

Purple Iris and Flooding


I don't have any good pictures of the flood threatening Bismarck-Mandan (are there ever any good ones?), so I submit this picture of beauty. Pictures and stories of the flood problems can be found at Bismarcktribune.com. As time goes along I'm sure I will snap a few. We drove over to Bismarck's east side this afternoon to visit Sam's Club and experienced different traffic than usually seen on a Sunday afternoon: trucks loaded with loose sand, filled sandbags on flatbed trailers, semi trailers hauling bundles of empty sandbags coming from who knows where, pickups and trailers hauling furniture, dikes and piled sandbags rising in many places, the radio filled with warnings some areas are advised to evacuate, etc. And here we sit high and dry at our place. I've tried to find our home's elevation to complare to flood zones and have had no luck yet, but we are nestled a good 20-25 feet above that. When we bought this lot it's elevation was one of the first things I noticed in a favorable light. I've always thought too much confidence was being placed in Garrison Dam's being a cure-all for low level flooding along the river. Developers heavily promoted river-front homes and buyers came. So here we are, facing several weeks of trouble and misery.