Sunday, April 17, 2011

Our Neighbor Boy

Here's our neighbor boy, Trey, (and I wish I knew how to spell his name) having fun both last night and this morning with the snow that lingers in our world. He likes forms as witnessed by the shape of the five gallon bucket he used to haul the snow. He is a twin; his brother, Cameron, has been laid up with a broken bone for a few weeks so he's not out here. His problem has become for me the chance to get back in the world of youngsters, his mother has asked me to pick the boys up after school to spare him the long walk home. It's been fun seeing the busy after-school scene with kids running all over the place. I've forgotten how gullible that age can be, sixth graders, when I told them a tall tale just after they got back from a recent trip to Florida. I asked them if they'd gotten to the Fountain of Youth in St. Augustine, a place where I had drank of the water. I went on to say it worked, that I'm 100 years old. "Really!" was all I got out of them so I let it ride; the next day I found out their folks told them it was a joke. But you know, being 69 might qualify in their young minds as being almost like 100.