Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A Little Shop

"A man should keep for himself a little back shop, all his own, quite unadulterated, in which he establishes his true freedom and chief place of seclusion and solitude." Montaigne 1533-1592

I was attracted to Montaigne's quotation when I first saw it and have often thought of placing it on a plaque to hang on the wall of my shop. When we built this home I made sure to allow extra space in the garage for a shop, not because of this quotation, but because I had realized years before that I needed space for the very reasons he stated.

The concept of a workshop has been very important to me throughout my life. A small farm shop on our farm proved to be a favorite spot to spend many hours. The building measured only about 12' x 12' and had only one small four-paned window which didn't open plus the door. What it lacked in size and comfort was overshadowed by its boxes, drawers, and shelves full of "stuff": nuts, bolts, nails, scrap iron, hammers, wrenches, chisels, and a whole host of more miscellany. Anvil, vise, and drill press stood ready to use, and a became the blacksmith/mechanic whenever my imagination dreamed up projects.

I remember standing at the drill press in that hot, airless building and turning the ratchety wheel crank with my sweat-soaked arm. I drilled lots of holes, squirting drops of oil on the bit as it turned and cut deeper into the iron. I flattened, bent, and shaped to my specifications on the anvil or clamped in the vise. Even today I still love the sound of the ringing anvil when it is struck by a heavy blacksmith hammer.