Tuesday, March 27, 2007

100th Blog

I've been lazy or short of time or inclination or something lately regarding this blog. Spring has hit Mandan and I've been working in the yard. I bought a power-rake blade for my lawn mower and have been raking out old dead grass. Yesterday a dust cloud followed me and my mower. It was dry and worked well. This morning there is too much moisture in the grass. I told Mary it was "tough." She hadn't heard that term used this way before. The culture I was raised in used that word frequently when working with hay or swathed grain when the moisture was too high to work well. I suppose the words damp, wet, high moisture, etc. would have worked too, but "tough" comes automatically, and that's why I came in to write. Trying to write daily has become a chore, so I'm going to enter a blog at this site once a week.

We had a fun weekend. On Saturday I attended an acoustic guitar workshop at the Heritage Center. I still enjoy picking up my guitar daily and want to improve, so this was the real deal for me. I'm amazed at the level of proficiency some of these guys have with their instruments. They make it look so easy, and there I sit struggling. I've read that a good way to forestall Alzheimer's is to learn something new. Well, that's what I'm doing. I do improve, but it goes mighty slow. I've committed to going on stage at the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Medora on the Memorial Day weekend, and I might just take that old dreadnought up there with me and bang out a few chords.

Sunday, we enjoyed another event at the Heritage Center: a bluegrass concert by a local band named Cotton Wood. Bluegrass music, when done well, is a great audience pleaser, and this group filled the 3oo seat auditorium. The price for admission was good - free. We couldn't go wrong on that. Bluegrass seems to be gaining in popularity around this area. Anytime there is a concert, it is well attended. Well, that's all until next week.