Friday, December 15, 2006

Imagine a Barnyard Scene

I've submitted another poem to the international contest from which I won a bronze medal two years ago. Maybe they'll respond favorably about this one, too. Sometimes poems come easily, and then, sometimes I struggle for a long time to write another. Since this is copyrighted by me, I think I'll print it here:

Imagine a Barnyard Scene
where a boy straddles the neck
of a calf and dunks her head
deep into a silver pail
filled with sudsy milk. The calf,
hesitant, sucks on fingers.
Expectation of soft teats
gives way to resignation.
She is an opportunist
making the best of her fate.
She will grow, give birth to calves,
and see them taken from her.
Then, one day, chewing her cud
in thoughtful contemplation,
she will see the fence and think
the other side looks greener.