Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Big Dig

Today I was on the road again, the first stop being McClusky. About one mile west of the town the highway crosses a government project, seemingly abandoned, called the McClusky Canal. Each time I cross over, I can't help but think of the waste of money that has been dumped into it. I've forgotten most of the specs for it such as length in miles, length of construction time, cost, etc., but the ditch is enormous, deep, wide, and long. As the Great Wall of China can be seen from outer space, I think there's a chance this canal could be seen, too.

When it was under construction news articles kept us abreast of its progress and its purpose, but now it has passed from public interest and scrutiny and is mostly forgotten about. Water never flowed down its length, and who knows how much money would be needed to make it operational today.

Much was made of the Alaskan senator who recently tried to get federal funding for a bridge that came to be known as the "Bridge to Nowhere." I wonder how many projects have sneaked by without any public outcry. The McClusky Canal never got enough. We have one other boondoggle - the Garrison Dam. Lake Sacajawea, formed by the dam, is mostly a huge fishery and recreational facility. Its turbines do generate some electricity, but on a cost basis I doubt that it is very efficient.