Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Angels Unawares





As I wandered around outside one day with camera in hand, I remembered a Bible verse that talked about "angels unawares."  After cranking up friend "Google," it whispered in my ear that, indeed, Hebrews 13:2 said in the King James Version, "Be not for forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."   I will still be very leery about that one, though, given the large number of people who are packing pistols nowadays.  If they are angels, I want them to identify themselves.
...   ...   ...
The Bismarck Tribune sent me another book to review: Trip of the Tongue: Cross-Country Travels in Search of America's Languages.  Having just received it yesterday, I can't say much about its worth, but in glancing at the index a few of the chapters interest me.  The one named "North Dakota:Norwegians" should be a good one.  The author attended the Hostfest in Minot to report on her findings there.

Another chapter, "Nevada: Basque" reminds me of the time in Elko we went uptown from our motel to eat Basque food at the Star Hotel.  It was quite the experience; as soon as we sat down a waitress brought us a bowl of soup and an plate of appetizers, and this was before we even looked at a menu.  It was good.  I'll have to read and see what the chapter is really about.

Other chapters are New York City: American;  Montana: Crow;  Arizona: Navajo; Washington: Lushootseed, Quileute, Makah;   Louisiana: French and Louisiana Creole;  South Carolina: Gullah;  Florida: Haitian Creole;  New Mexico: Spanish;  and Los Angeles: English.

Right now I've got so many things to read and write, that it's keeping my days full.  I should complain???