Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nodding Donkeys


I learned something today - the nickname of the critter in the picture is a nodding donkey. Using a little imagination I see why. The long ears can be imagined on the upper part of the head and his long muzzle hangs below. When the pump is in operation , it goes up and down, i.e. nodding. We will see lots of them in the future. This morning I opened a website called www.northdecoder.com, a watchdog type of site where the writer loves giving hell to the Republicans in North Dakota. He found a picture of the Bakken oil field taken from space by a satellite. Obviously the oil business is a 24 hour operation as shown by all the lights showing up from various things.

I pulled into my local M & H this morning to fill gas and made small talk with the guy next to me. I said something like "I'll bet all those Southern boys up here working in the oil fields went looking for insulated coveralls when they got up here." He told me about his brother living in Dickinson who can't even find toilet paper in the Wal-Mart because it sells as fast as they stock it. He comes to Bismarck to shop. A front page article in the Bismarck Trib this morning told of how older folks are being displaced in the oil fields. They wanted to die in the home they've lived in, but rents have risen beyond their social security means.

In my way of looking at things, I see similarity in the Occupy Wall Street movement or whatever that is. Cities around the country are closing down the camps and chasing them out. Sanitary reasons seem to be the biggest argument they use to close down the camps. One of the jailed protesters complained they've never heard of such a thing in this country. History tells of one really bad incident, though, that I think is similar. In 1932 out-of- work World War I veterans marched on Washington, DC to collect a bonus for the military service that had been promised. Hoover reneged on the deal and ordered General Douglas MacArthur to clear them out and burn the encampment they had constructed. He did so with gusto.