Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Fool and His Money Are Soon Elected


I turn to Will Rogers for home-spun wisdom again. A fool and his money are soon elected. Who will it be this time around? The debates to date haven't brought the best in anybody yet. I'm at the point of feeling sorry for Governor Perry who wants to cut government spending by eliminating three departments but could only remember two of them. Cain keeps swatting at the flies in his past, but they keep flying around his head.

Alexander Hamilton started the U. S. Treasury with nothing, and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even. I don't know how accurate that is, but I think it is mostly so.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do. Lies, broken campaign promises, corruption with lobbyist payola. Happens all the time. Jack Abramoff who just served four years in the federal pen was on last Sunday's 60 Minutes show. He explained how easy it was to buy votes in Washington

Democrats never agree on anything, that's why they're Democrats. If they agreed with each other, they would be Republicans. Not much can be added here, although the united front as created by Grover Nordquist and his no tax increase pledge seems to have sprung a small leak in the dike.

I bet after seeing us, George Washington would sue us for calling him "father." If he had a sense of humor he might have laughed, but they had their share of arguments and fights, too. In fact political parties started because Hamilton and Jefferson couldn't agree on anything.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. The comedians have such rich ground to harvest their routines from. I can't wait to see what SNL will do with Gov. Perry.

I have a scheme for stopping war. It's this - no nation is allowed to enter a war till they have paid for the last one. It's hard to predict when the generals and industry will tell us when it is time for another war, but it's fun to think in idealistic terms.

Finally,

I never expected to see the day when girls would get sunburned in the places they do now
.
One day this past summer I walked into a restaurant and there stood a young girl with a low cut top that drooped below her tan line. I went home and wrote a poem about ice cream sundaes.