Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What Kind of Education

Granted, I think about things like this from a prejudiced viewpoint, but I am a proponent of the liberal arts curriculum in education. The September 19th issue of Newsweek carried an article entitled "Texting Makes U Stupid." The first paragraph stated, The good news is that today's teenagers are avid readers and prolific writers. The bad news is that what they are reading and writing text messages. Some disheartening statistics were quoted, such as half of today's teenagers don't read books except when they're made to. Another, two thirds of college freshmen read for pleasure less than an hour per week.

This past Monday evening we accompanied our son's family to watch our grandchildren while they participated in a gymnastics organization. Because of the young age, all of the kids were accompanied by one or both parents. In a seating section I noted most of them concentrated on watching the screen on a cell phone or laptop computer. Only one individual out of that group from an open book, a thick one at that.

On a trip a year or so ago we sat with another couple at a meal on our tour group where the topic of education came up. I proceeded to expound on my feelings, but they took me up short by saying both of their kids only went to two year trade schools and were doing very well financially, thank you. I bit my tongue and didn't pursue it, but I can't help thinking there is more to life than the drudgery of manual labor that brings a big paycheck that gets spent on recreational items: motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, lake cabins, etc. I know some of them stew and fret about making the payments on all of these depreciating "things."

I get a lot of junk email, especially from those who call themselves conservatives where the subject almost always is how terrible things are in Washington right now, and how they won't get better until their side gets back in power. If I thought they had reasoned it through for themselves I might give it more credibility, but they are usually victims of jingoisms and Limbaugh bowel movements. That is where the strengths of a serious liberal arts education shine. As one academic said, "It makes them more reflective about their beliefs and choices, more self-conscious and critical of their presuppositions and motivations, more creative in their problem-solving, more perceptive of the world around them, and more able to inform themselves about the issues that arise in their lives, personally, professionally, and socially."

Aw, hell, what do I care. Here's an Ole and Lena story. Ole and Lena were leaning against the edge of their pig-pen when Lena wistfully recalled that the next week would mark their golden wedding anniversary. "Let's have a party, Ole, let's kill a pig." Ole scratched his grizzled head. "Uff da!" he finally answered. "I don't see vhy dat pig should take the blame for something dat happened fifty years ago."