Sunday, July 31, 2011

Buggies and Blues

Mandan hosts an annual event called "Buggies and Blues" and it draws lots of cars and people. Main street is closed off so classic cars could park in double file for about nine blocks. Plus two or three of the side streets joining main street contain classic cars, too. The estimated number of cars is usually around 500, and just to make it interesting quite a few classic farm tractors sit on display, too. Under the bandshell live bands play and food and drink vendors sell their products. Other vendors set up on the sidewalk selling things such as model cars, services for body work and painting, collectible license plates, etc.




The Fairlane is owned by an old Sheldonite, Larry Strand, who takes a lot of pride in his vehicle. I think he comes every year. Because of the flooding the usual date of the car show had to moved to this July date. I kidded Larry about going through withdrawals when he and his fellow owners couldn't show in June. "Yeah," he said laughing, "I got the shakes!"


I remembered George Bunn when I saw this car. His parents owned one that looked like it - maybe a four-door, though - and I got to ride with him once in awhile on Saturday night. It was one nice riding car! Car lovers are a pretty nostalgic bunch.



How I loved these Mustangs when they came out the summer I graduated from college. I made up my mind to get one and pay monthly payments. Wouldn't you know it, Ford went on strike then and didn't produce them for awhile. So I bought an plain Jane of a '62 Ford. I had to wait until I got married to get a Mustang. Mary brought hers to our union, a '65 fastback model.

The sun beat down pretty hard and shade felt pretty good, but the heat didn't stop the crowd from showing up. I'll just bet there will be another Buggies and Blues next year.