Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Gold and Geology

The recent post in my “Ransom County Notes” gathered some interest in the gold mine story near Lisbon.  Here is what a North Dakota geologist John Bluemle in his book NORTH DAKOTA’S GEOLOGIC LEGACY says, “When I mapped the geology of Ransom County in 1970, I visited the mine site…I spent some time studying the apparent mine site and determined that any gold was contained in what is probably a cemented placer deposit, consisting of gravel that was deposited by a preglacial stream or river.  The river probably had its origin in the Black Hills, the likely source area for the gold, and it must have flowed through the area sometime prior to 3 million years ago.”  I will see Dr. Bluemle Thursday night at an event at NDSU and will discuss it further.