Sunday, March 04, 2012

Jokin' around


Yesterday I listened a bit to Garrison Keillor's show which featured sick jokes. He told this one on Ole. Lena got to thinking Ole hadn't been amorous enough of late so she got him an appointment with a therapist. When he returned he started singing love songs to his John Deere tractor. Lars drove up, "Vat in the world are yoo doing, Ole?" "Vell, Lena sent me to the doctor and he said I should do something romantic to a tractor." :-) ---Yeah, I know, it took me a couple seconds to figure it out, too.
...
We were in Staples on Saturday, and as we left, I had to wait a bit to get into my car because an older couple parked beside us had their doors open to load their purchase. As I stood there I noticed the lettering on the back of his jacket saying something like Senior Athletics of Utah. I mentioned it and he said he's participated many times and has won lots of medals. "I don't know how much longer I'll be able to do it, though. I'm in the 90 to 95 age bracket." Then he got in his car and drove off.
...
My wife stayed with her dad yesterday so I went off to a movie that she did not want to see: Act of Valor. It's a good thing we saved the price for her ticket. That movie had received quite a bit of attention lately because they used actual Navy Seals as actors and followed them through made for the screen scenarios. It appealed to the lowest common denominator. I saw more guys getting shot through the brains with blood spattering the wall behind them than I've ever seen. A lady hostage had a drill bit drilled through her hand to make her talk. A Seal fell on a grenade to muffle the blast and we saw his body rise from the explosion. The story line was weak. It tried to follow the personal life of one whose wife was expecting. Of course, he was killed in action. I give two thumbs down on this one. I thought it would have some value because of its controversy. Some ex-Seals thought it gave away too much of their tactics. Wrong.