Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Moon Shadows

Warm temperatures, dry ground, and clear skies have hung around here for a few days now. Saturday night we attended the Chuck Suchy and Family concert a few miles south of here and watched a full moon rise in the uncloudy sky. The full moon's presence
was not a phenomenon unrelated to the concert since Suchy has been setting the date of the event to coincide with it. The audience sat facing south towards the wall of the hundred year old Bohemian Hall which made it easy to watch the moon start its nighttime arc in the sky.

Sleeping with an open window these past few nights has let the loud sounds of a multitude of crickets enter the bedroom. I think on Sunday night their volume even woke me up, but maybe it was my sixty-six year old bladder crying out for attention. Whatever, when I walked past the window I parted the shades to look out and saw a strong outline of the house against the lawn, a moon shadow. Last night I paused to look at it again. Two days past full, the shadow already seemed a bit fainter, but it was unmistakably there.

The fact that I'm getting older and living in a city environment both seem to work against my awareness of nature and all its facets, but I remember life on the farm opened my senses to the seasons, weather, moon cycles, etc., and I still see a bobber dancing in the moon after Grandpa brought me home from a day of fishing. Cat Stevens wrote and sang a song titled Moon Shadows, "I'm being followed by a moon shadow...," a song about finding hope in any situation.