Friday, July 25, 2008

Sad News

I finished mowing the lawn for the umpteenth time this year. Mary keeps fertilizing and timely rains keep falling making it thick and lush. If it only weren't so warm and sultry it would be more fun mowing.
...
I stopped writing this to answer a phone call from my mother. She had just received word from my cousin Lance that his dad, my uncle, Russell passed away. The funeral will be Monday at 10:30. News such as this always makes me stop and bring up old memories. He loved his land and his cattle and spent many years to build both up. He suffered sorrow such as when his son Merrill passed away much too early, and he experienced joy with the recognition he received for his achievements. As a young boy I always looked forward to the times when he drove his family to our place for visits or when we went to theirs. He carved out a good life from a meager beginning and excelled at what he did. May he rest in peace! He was raised as one of eleven children, and now only my dad and Aunt Evelyn survive.