Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Blood Donor

“It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.” — Albert Einstein

On two occasions in my lifetime I have needed blood transfusions. Today, for the first time, I became a blood donor so that I can help someone else who may need it. It seems as though there are different types of donating, something I learned today. I chose to give 2RBC which translates as donating two transfusable units of red blood cells which may be used to help one or two patients. In addition, patients who require multiple transfusions benefit from receiving products from one donor because there is less of a chance for a transfusion-related reaction. With this type of donation I am only able to give three times a year. This 2RBC is apparently a relatively new procedure, being in use for only a few years.

I gave a quick look on the internet to learn a bit more of the procedure and its product. One site said these collections increase the number of red blood cells units available to the U.S. blood supply yet decrease the transfusion risks to patients because they do not have to be exposed to blood from as many donors which is pretty much a rehash of what I learned at the blood center.

I believe the people who draw the blood have the title phlebotomist. The
young lady phlebotomist who did my intake interview apparently had done many of these and tended to read the many questions rapidly with a slurred pronunciation. More than once I had to stop her and ask her to repeat what she had said. I wanted to say, “Miss, I have taught speech classes and drama in school, and I want you to slow down and start enunciating your words!” I have only been a donor this one time; I will have to go several times more before I am caught up with what I have been given.