Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dreaming

Dreaming is a good pastime. Some favorite moments are spent dreaming. It doesn't matter much if they come while asleep or awake; they're all about as meaningful, which is to say they don't amount to much. The other night I dreamt I was running around with TV personalities Al Roker and Matt Lauer on some sort of driving trip. Now this really gets wierd: someone in their crowd of admirers dropped over from a heart attack, and Lauer cut him open and operated on him right there. He just happened to be carrying a heart monitor machine in the trunk of his car and was able to pull this guy through in fine shape. The last thing I remember of the dream was when I said I will get a good blog out of this.

Daydreams aren't much more substantive, although they have caused me to try different things which have certainly added lots of spice to my life. I dreamt big things about Alaska and what I could and would do up there. Well, I drove up the Alaskan Highway to satisfy this dream, only to turn tail and come back after about a week. Of course, I detoured through Colorado, stayed there a year in Greeley, and earned a master's degree. This was not part of the dream but came about as an indirect result.

In many cases the indirect result, or unintended consequences, of a dream is what we can expect. In the first case, I shared that improbable scenario with a small group and got a laugh from it, plus the idea for this blog. In the second case, it set me on the path I followed for the rest of my working years. Dreams still come and go, often something like the bubbles in a bathtub: they form, float awhile, and then pop, never to be thought of again. I think a person never gets to old to dream. Just maybe one of those dreams will hang around awhile to come to fruition.