Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Dear Blog

Dear Blog,

The time of the year has arrived to set some new year's resolutions. I have never resolved many in the past, but in your case I will set down a few. I will strive to use improved grammar when I write to you. I suffer the delusion of thinking I am a good writer; then you came along and started placing your demands upon me. It is time to step up and start opening my reference books. I know you like it best when I write nouns and verbs while using adjectives and adverbs sparingly.

Flaws show up after I let a piece of writing percolate in my sub-conscious for a time. Of course, you, dear blog, will never be a candidate for any awards, but you read best after revisions. I will work at avoiding the passive voice and straining to find the active voice where, I have learned, the best writing results.

Appropriate metaphors liven up the story line, so how about this one I stole from a liar's club contest: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. But if you grab it by its ears and hold its snout in the bucket long enough, it will either drink or learn to breathe through its eyes." I will learn to breathe through my eyeballs, dear blog, and attempt to keep the bucket full, too. You drink, I'll breathe.

One last resolution, dear blog, comes to mind. Why write to you daily if no topic paws at me begging my attention? Once or twice a week might suffice if written to a higher standard. Oh, by the way, when I go on a trip I won't blog at all. I will carry my notebook, though, and practice my resolutions.