Friday, November 17, 2006

Idiots and Dummies

One of the books I recently checked out of the library is titled Improving Your Memory for Dummies with the subtitle Sharpen Your Memory Skills the Fun and Easy Way. Over the past several years a large number of this type of book reached the shelves of bookstores and libraries. I confess to owning a few: Guitar for Dummies, French for Dummies, Philosophy for Dummies, Complete Idiot's Guide to Philosophy, Complete Idiot's Guide to Theories of the Universe and Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Catholicism.

The upshot to owning and/or reading this collection is that I'm still an idiot and a dummy in all of these fields. I find it enjoyable, though, to skim over these subjects in a light reading format, and, at the least, gain appreciation for the people who do excel. Let's see now, what did I start with? Oh, yes, improving your memory.

The disease of Alzheimer's frightens me. I don't think I'm exhibiting any of the symptoms and hope I never do, but if there are things a person can do to forestall its onset, it would be prudent to do so. Chapters of the book are grouped into units: Understanding Memory, Establishing Memory Power, Preserving Your Memory, and Exercising Your Memory Every Day.

A chapter named Ten Best Ways to Improve Your Memory says to consume a balanced diet, relax your brain, exercise your memory, take supplements, stimulate your mind, focus on memory, stay organized, associate-pair-connect, use memory aids, and keep the right attitude.

Now if I can figure out a way to remember them, I'll be in good shape.