Saturday, September 16, 2006

My First Blog

I became interested in the concept of web logs a while ago, and recovering from my cancer surgery, I now have plenty of time to become a blogger myself and write my thoughts regarding a wide range of topics. The essay has always been my favored style. I anticipate most of the entries will take that form; however, I may sneak other things in if I take a fancy to them. What the heck, this is my doing, and I'm not going to worry about what someone else thinks of my views.

I still remember an epiphany I experienced while a student at UND. Somehow I got enrolled in an introduction to the German language course and struggled mightily to understand the workings of that language. The main problem was that I did not fully understand the grammar of the English language - I could not cross-polinate. High school English teachers did their best with me, but that light bulb continued burning dimly. So there in the lounge in Bek Hall I sat painfully studying my German lesson of the day. In that very deep concentration, probably studying something like the four cases of the German noun in the singular, a once in a lifetime experience occurred: the working of the English language revealed itself, its light shining brightly. The two teachers named above more than likely set the foundation in place, but it was only at this instant that I UNDERSTOOD! That feeling of A-Ha has never since been so strong. I went on to major in English and have always felt confident in my written usage of it.

The blogosphere presents itself as an outlet for my writing, the tablet I set my pen to. If a few readers join me I will appreciate that; if not, I'll go on venting and writing as it suits me. At 64 years of age a good deal of thought and experience has accumulated in this body and soul, and I want to organize it in written form.