Wednesday, September 27, 2006

In Search of Heroes

Occasionally someone comes along who stands tall in thought or behavior and gives us reason to examine our own. The word hero fits my thesis. As a boy I found Roy Rogers under a white cowboy hat and Superman flying overhead. As an older boy, Medal of Honor winners and ace fighter pilots marched through my imagination; then Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris batted their way to high places. Early astronauts circled my dreams in orbit.

As I matured I grew closer to the realm of ideas, and therein dwelt different heroes. I lived vicariously in the lifetimes of historical figures that stretched back into the centuries. I stood shoulder to shoulder with them to defeat evil empires, establish democracies, conquer disease, write literature, create art, defend a way of life, etc.

Has an old-age cynicism crept into my psyche? I see too many of today's near-heroes searching out book deals which diminishes their glory in my eyes. The only memoirs I place much importance in come at the end of a person's distinguished career, and therefore can do nothing to advance their careers --- only to record it for the future. On the flip side I see accomplished people being vilified by "spin" machinery run by self-serving, opposing forces. Then there are the record-breaking sports figures for whom the cloud of alleged drug-enhancement obscures their achievements. How about TV preachers selling salvation?

I'm hard pressed to name contemporary figures who fit my idea of heroes. Help me! I'm searching for a new hero!