Thursday, February 09, 2017

A New Day

The weather forecast looks good for the week ahead, mid-thirties for the next seven days.

I had a surprise phone call yesterday just as I was putting on my shoes to go out for supper.  Mary ran back upstairs when the phone rang, read the screen, and hollered, "Don Bender."  "Answer," I said.  It was an old friend from graduate school - University of Northern Colorado - calling to say he and his wife have been following my Facebook posts.  Such good times we had down there in Greeley, a favorite hangout being The Driftwood Lounge.  Anyway, I enjoyed the visit.

For most of the past three years I have been writing weekly columns for various newspapers, but that is coming to an end.  I submitted my last for publication this week.  Over those past 150 articles, I've discovered a lot of characters and incidents that I want to write about in more depth and now plan to do.  The weekly column takes a lot of time, and I want to spend it concentrating elsewhere.  As of now I'll submit an article once a month instead of for that weekly grind.

Some of those characters went through quite the times never thinking much about it since that was the norm for them.  I like to bring them back to new readers.