Monday, August 11, 2014

A New Week

A new week and lots to do.  I went to an auction sale Saturday, an estate sale, a collector's.  He was a retired employee of the historical society, so I thought he just might have acquired a few things that I might like.  He had a large collection of beer things, bar signs, brewing books, empty cans, etc.  It sold high.  An electric lighted Dakota Brewery sign went for $300 and it had a cracked glass front.  There were books where I thought I might score, which I did.  I spotted one in a box, The Spoilers by Rex Beach.  It's a first edition 1905 copyright in "like new" condition.  At any rate, it's the fictionalized story of North Dakota's big crook, Alex. McKenzie, when he went to Alaska and ripped off the gold miners.  In my way of thinking, it was a good 'get'.  I intend to write more about McKenzie in the future.

Right now I've returned to horses in WWI and have been finding more info on ChroniclingAmerica website.  In the Clinch Valley News out of Virginia, a 1915 story carried this headline: " Horses for Cannon Food and Bullet Meat."    Last Saturday something like 35 horses were bought here for service in the great war.  The horses were shipped to Richmond, and from there they will go to Europe for the army of the Allies.

That is just a small example of the stories regarding the purchasing of horses.  Lots of material there.