Saturday, May 31, 2014

Looking at June



A new month rolls around and signals me to write something in this blog. Spring finally showed for real, and now it is green and lush looking in the trees and lawns. Farmers are really scrambling to get finished with putting their crops in. Gardeners, like Mary, couldn't wait to get the flowers in, but now she doesn't want to come in the house.

Me, I'm having fun, too, volunteering at the Heritage Center one morning a week. Two of the galleries have opened, and good ones they are. It's fun to hear all of the places they come from – one couple came from South Wales, England to research family history in the archive library, and a man came from Luxembourg. I don't think they came just because it opened anew, but because they just happened in.

I had an interesting phone conversation with a descendent of the Wade family last evening who is trying to find out even more than the book I published gave. I have heard from many in that family who express gratitude that the book became available. So, even though I made no money with it, it's surely given me lots of pleasure. Another book is in the works, but things like that move slowly, maybe after about a year.

I'm still reviewing books for Western Writers of America, and now have received an additional job from them. I was contacted by the chairperson of the Spur Awards committee and asked to judge one category of writing: Best Western Traditional Novel (to 1940). I asked my editor in Santa Fe how much reading that will entail, and he assured me it will be plenty. I hope there are some good ones! I'll get more details on the project in Sacramento later this month.

We drove to Medora a week ago to take in some entertainment at the annual poetry and song gathering. We took time to go through the ND Cowboy Hall of Fame and, as always, visit the Western Edge Bookstore. The town was just starting to waken after their winter sleep, and by now, I'm sure they are going strong. We plan to return this summer and take in the evening stage show at the amphitheater.

A week ago Bismarck hosted a huge oilman's convention, around 4,000 registered from 48 states and several foreign countries. They counted over 40 private jets that brought bigshots into the airport. I'd like to have attended but the price of admission was $700, a little steep for my social security budget. They gathered around each other doing some back-slapping and trying to figure out how to squeeze more oil out of the ground. If they'd put as much effort into developing alternative energy sources to power our cars, we'd have something by now that's cleaner.

In parting, I can tell a bit about the movie we attended last night – A Million Ways to Die in the West. It was entertaining, but if a multitude of cuss words coming from men and women alike bothers you, don't go. Intended as a spoof, it takes in big territory: sheep ranchers, Indians, prostitutes, gold thieves, jealous lovers, gunslingers, barroom brawls, the fact that nobody ever smiled in old time photos, etc., etc. I was afraid my wife wouldn't like it, but she laughed harder than I did.