Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Oops, I forgot to ...


My life can't be to much different from anyone else's. First, the high, then the low, then a high again, etc. Last week I finished a newspaper column I'd been working hard at (the high), and when I sent it off to the editors, I wiped writing out of my mind (the low). Consequently, I forgot to post something on this blog. I should have something to complain about, eh. A friend in town with whom I agree completely when he said, “I don't know how people can say they've got nothing to do.” He and I run into each other at OLLI classes, Conversations at BSC, the state archives, volunteering at the heritage center, or even at breakfast.

OLLI classes start soon. Besides a few one session meetings, I've signed up for two topics that look interesting – North Dakota Political Traditions and Celebrate North Dakota. Two fine instructors head them both up and make their sessions worthwhile. Winter is already growing wearisome, and it will be good to mix with like-minded people again. Mary's going to miss classes this year, she's going on a trip with Farmers Union.

I don't see how I'll ever run out of ideas for newspaper articles. The one I submitted today was called “Laying Rails.” When the railroads came to this territory, then state, the country really opened up to settlement. Archival newspapers tell interesting stories. The one I remember vividly from 1885 stated, “several prairie schooners passed through town yesterday bound for the west.” There are many stories of the west that took place right back at home. There've been gunfights, fistfights, “soiled doves” , illegal liquor, political squabbles, fires, the whole darn shebang.

The picture of motor vehicles taking over from horsepower is so clear. In the June 10, 1915 edition of the Sheldon paper, the editor wrote, “Since the hitching posts were removed from the streets and the same covered with gravel, the appearance has been greatly enhanced and the two blocks of main street made a whole lot more sanitary. Since the removal of the posts a number of owners of automobiles are now parking the cars on the side of the street next to the stores and one or two of the merchants have asked The Progress to utter a protest in regard to letting their cars stand there. It hinders the farmers, especially the ladies, from driving up in front of these stores and leaving their produce, and besides, the autoes could be left just as well on the opposite side of the street.” They had parking problems, too.

I couldn't help telling a horse story, the one about Tipperary. He was a horse that the French buyers wouldn't take in WWI because he showed signs of being an outlaw. His owners made a bucking horse out of him and was ridden very few times. The sad part of the story was when he finally retired and was put out to pasture, he got caught in a blizzard, died, and was found the next spring with his bones picked clean by coyotes.

It took two weeks to tell the story of the fire at Fort Ransom, first the Metis caught and several died, and, second, how the fire affected the fort.

So that's what I'm doing with my time, reading and writing.