Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pretty Flowers




I'm spending most of my time researching topics that interest me, all at the expense of a shaggy lawn, broken garage door opener, and a host of miscellaneous other jobs I should take care of. But none of those are much fun. I got steered into some website information Monday night by a friend with common interests and is a veteran researcher. I told him if he ever runs into information regarding horse buyers in this country during World War One that I'd appreciate any tips. He went right to work when he got home and found sources without looking very hard. The website is chroniclingamerica.loc.gov and draws from historic newspapers. I looked at a few Bismarck Tribunes and found a number of interesting tidbits, ie one article headlined West Now Being Drained of Horses where one paragraph stated, “Probably 6,000 to 7,500 horses are being shipped out of Montana and northern Wyoming monthly, all destined for war service.”
* * *
Quite a stir with “Rolling Stone” magazine when they pictured the young Boston bomb maker on its front cover. When I was last in Barnes and Noble I picked up an issue, but not to read about that. No, I wanted to read an article featuring Willie Nelson. You gotta love that guy. He must have completely disarmed the interviewer with this joke: A man went to the doctor for a checkup. Says the doc, “You're going to have to quit masturbating.” “Why?” says the patient. “So I can exam you.”
* * *
That same morning we went to Denny's for breakfast where a young native American gal took our order. The restaurant was very busy, and I remarked in my sometimes heavy Norwegian pronunciation of things, “You look bissy.” She looked confused, looked around and said, “I'm not Bessy, I'm Alva.” After explaining my sloppy pronunciation, we all had a good laugh over it.
* * *
Sometimes I think news people must feel trapped in a whirlpool from which there is no escape. I'm talking about the birth of a new royal baby in England. Now that is very nice, but how much of it do we need in this country. Watching Mika on Morning Joe, I'm sure she feels that way. She as much as said so, but then reverted into some more baby news.
* * *
I've been reading good books lately.  Richard S. Wheeler from Montana writes of the West,and the last of his I read was Bat Masterson.  Wheeler was a newsman in his earlier life, and often uses a newsman as a character in his stories.  He really is a wordsmith.  Now I picked up his Richest Hill on Earth, a story about mining in Butte, Montana, and sure enough, a newsman gets right in the middle of things.