Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lotza Green and Blossoms


Wherever one looks, scenes of new foliage treat the eye to multi-colored, multi-textured, and multi-scented goodness.  It's a great time to be alive in North Dakota.

After attending a high school graduation in the southwestern part of the state last weekend we had decided that we'd stay home this past weekend.  But the draw of the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Medora proved too great, and there we went.  I have walked on stage a couple of times in the past but haven't done so in the last couple of years.  I blame my absence on my wife who claims she gets too nervous.  Bill Lowman organizes the two-day affair and always wonders why I'm not participating.  On the way out of the auditorium Saturday I waved to him and said I'd bring my guitar along next year; he thought that was an excellent idea.  I think Mary is ready for me to work something up because she was telling me her plans of how and what I should perform. 

In case anyone still wonders about the solution to the Horse Trading problem of last week, here it is along with the problem:  Frank sells Sue a horse for $60.  Then he decides he wants it back, but Sue makes him pay $70 for it.  Then Sue changes her mind and buys it back from Frank, but for $80.  Finally, Frank buys it back from Sue for $90.  At this point, who comes out ahead?

Follow the money; H means that person has the horse.
 Frank  Sue 
+60-60 H
-70 H+70
+80-80 H
-90 H+90
Totals: -20 H+20
So Sue comes out $20 ahead. Frank has his horse back, but he paid $20 to get it.
(from Ohiorc.org - Stella's Problems)

Memorial Day brings lots of activity past our place here just one block off Highway 1806.  The highway leads to the Veterans Cemetery south of us.  The largest crowd ever attended the ceremony out there, and it must have also been the largest number of Freedom River motorcycles, too.  They rumbled on past for a long time.  The sound from those Harleys carries loud and clear.