Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My Mother Still Tells Good Stories


This is a Christmas picture taken of my mother who resides in Lisbon, ND at the Parkside Lutheran Home.  Her 93rd birthday was last Sunday, the 17th, and we visited to celebrate.  Of course, my 71st occurred two days earlier on the 15th, so we reminisced over that.  I can't remember much about that day in 1942, but I asked her how the weather was.  She thought it was fine, but said she hadn't been feeling well for a couple days previous to that so she probably doesn't remember much either.  Dad took her to my birthplace in Enderlin, the house of a midwife.  ....  Enderlin celebrated a Diamond Jubilee in 1966 and published a history book.  This little snippet appeared in the history of the Opheim family.  "Caring for the sick has always been her greatest enjoyment and the doctors of the area relied on her for assistance when the stork was imminent.  She counts as 'her' babies 117 boys and girls now scattered all over the country,"  Mrs. Opheim's home hosted my birth.
***  ***   ***
She told us this story of how when she was born, she came to be named Maxine.  Her mother wanted to name her Lois, but a relative talked her out of it, saying that isn't a very good name.  It so happened that a few years later this relative had a girl, and guess what, she named her Lois.
***   ***   ***
The editor of the Bismarck Tribune sent another book for me to review: Lady at the O.K. Corral - The True Story of Josephine Marcus Earp.  Over the years, I have wondered, but only a bit, what the O.K. stands for.  With just a little bit of research I discovered the those initials came from the U.S. President Martin Van Buren who bore the nickname "Old Kinderhook."  Reading a bit more I found that is also where our term "okay" comes from.
***   ***   ***
Here is how my review begins.  "This reviewer recently visited Tombstone, AZ and suffered through frequent "gun battles" on the streets and walked through Boothill Cemetery reading gravestones that told of violent deaths (Here lies Lester More.  Four slugs from a .44.  No Les, No More.")  The guide in the Birdcage Theater proudly pointed to bullet holes in the walls and the curtained cubicles where ladies plied their trade.  This city celebrates its lawless past.  The savvy undertaker even advertised, "Ask about our layaway plan."

In several Tombstone establishments hangs a picture of a beautiful young lady wearing only a filmy garment whom they claim depicts Josephine Marcus Earp.  Now, this lady has become the subject of an interesting biography, Lady at the O.K. Corral.  etc. etc."
***   ***   ***
I had a good laugh the other day when I watched a clip from the David Letterman show.  There stood President Obama playing golf and shooting a long putt which soon became obviously a miss.  There flew a drone overhead that shot a missile down to score a hit and blow a small hole in front of the ball.  Bingo.  Obama will always be remembered for shooting drone missiles, and the visual of it made me laugh.
***   ***   ***
I am scheduled to present a session at the Osher Institute on Wednesday, March 13.  The director told me that interest has outgrown the standard classrooms and that she has moved us to a larger room.  Therefore, anyone can come, not just registered Osher members.  So if anyone reads this, you are invited.  1:00-2:30.


Posted by Picasa