Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12-12-12


The statue of boots, rifle, and helmet stands at the entrance to a military installation in Bismarck called Fraine Barracks.  It seemed appropriate to take a picture and post it today when a funeral was held yesterday for one of the North Dakota National Guard boys killed in an explosion.  Behind it stood a flag pole flying a flag at half staff.  Four members of the guard died recently, two of them in Iraq and  two by their own hand after returning.  Sad stories at Christmastime.
***
I just received a Christmas letter from my old English teacher, Mrs. Slatta.  Actually two came, one written personally to me by her daughter, and the other written on behalf of her mother by the same daughter.  You see, Mrs. Slatta is now 103 years old, so she gets help doing some of these things.  Both women enjoyed knowing how I got reacquainted with the son through the Western Writers of America.  Her husband at the time was the school superintendent and our civics class teacher.  I still remember the day when we talked about the Russian's orbiting Sputnik.  1957.
***
Winter came to Mandan, snow, cold, and wind. I always think about those Southern boys up here in the oil patch and how they must be complaining. I saw a sign in the window of the Medora bookstore that would answer them: If you think you've got it tough, read a history book. One of the benefits of Mary's family history collecting is the hard times that those of a couple generations ago suffered through. Two different cases of extreme hardship come to mind. In each of them families of immigrants traveled westward to new homes, and a woman had to give birth in the middle of a snowstorm. The wagon boxes the families rode in were turned upside down to make a shelter, and the woman was wrapped in horse blankets. Each time things turned out okay with the births, though in one of them the man complained, upon being rescued, that he had run out of tobacco during the night.
***
Last Saturday's weather threatened, but I drove west to Medora to do a book signing in the Western Edge bookstore. The business places in that town have been sponsoring a weekend filled with activities, eats, and shopping. I pulled into town a bit early to do some shopping for the little granddaughter for something Mary had seen in one of the shops last spring. A nice plate of goodies sat there, and I helped myself to a krumkake liberally sprinkled with powdered sugar. Mmmm. A schedule of business places offering treats and eats lay on the table. I counted 21 of them. No way could I visit all of them, but I took off for the Cowboy Hall of Fame building and the advertised Rocky Mountain oyster offering. Upstairs three ladies stood preparing them, but they were not done yet. I looked over the counter at those little raw bluish nuggets in a bowl and decided I could forgo that cuisine. I said to one of the ladies the only time I'd ever eaten them was when I was crazy-full of beer. She said, “Go down the street and drink three or four, then come back.” I didn't.

The hotel served a very hearty chili. The meat ingredient was not hamburger but chunks of steak. A bowl of that tasted good, and for a dessert, plates of truffles beckoned. One of them and I was on my way to the bookstore for what I discovered is a community favorite, Mary E's bread pudding with rum sauce. People lined up to get at that. A crowd like that promised a few book sales, and I didn't get at the pudding for awhile. Even though the drive home got a bit dicey from the weather, I was not disappointed since I returned home with a nice check.

Posted by Picasa