Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween, 2012


About three weeks ago we reshingled our house, or should I say we contracted with Lowe's to have our house reshingled.  I wanted it done when there was still warm weather so that the shingles would seal up good, but time kept passing and no crews came around.  Finally, a delivery of materials came and sat for a few days, then a dumpster arrived, but still no crew.  Now I started riding hard on Lowe's, where are my shinglers.  You have signed a contract with me to perform.   A crew showed up one evening, and I relaxed.  Next morning here they come knocking on the door:  One of the crew fell off a roof and broke his leg.  We're being called back to Fargo so he can get medical attention.  Now what?  More phone calls.  Finally a call comes, I am sending a crew in from Fergus Falls.  I think you'll like them.  Well, it did turn out all right.   They were a good crew that worked hard.  Arriving mid-morning on a Saturday, their foreman told them if they get the roof stripped by noon he'd buy supper at Golden Corral.  They did, he did, and to get it they worked until about 8:00 that night, and then returned to finish the job the next morning, Sunday.  I think the job was a good job; it withstood two days of very heavy wind a couple weeks ago.
***
Another shipment of books came in for review from Western Writers of America.  I always have plenty to read.  The other day I went into a thrift store that has a good used book department and found seven Bernard Cornwell books.  He is a good action writer, a historical fiction author, who knows how to write adventure stories with lots of battle scenes. 
***
I wonder if some people will ever start believing that global warming is real and will bring about climate changes whether we want them to come or not.  Satellite pictures of glaciers tell a story of the biggest symptom, shrinking ice fields around the globe.  To my line of thinking, this is an indisputable fact.  It's in line with those who deny evolution.  Why, I think there is even a flat-earth society that still meets.
***
- Remember to save the earth: It's the only planet with chocolate!
- Accept the fact that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue!
- Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
- Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
- Drive carefully... It's not only cars that can be recalled by their maker.
- If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
- If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
- It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
- Never buy a car you can't push.
- Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
***
Next week at this time the election will be over.  Thank God!  I think it's about time to look at the way England and France conduct theirs.  They limit the campaigns to a set number of days.  I won't post a blog next week.  We're heading to Branson!!!
Posted by Picasa